5/07/2009

Robert Frank

Mary 1957
Political rally , Chicago
Butte , MT

Robert Frank
Robert frank, a spectacular film photographer, is best known for his series ‘The Americans’ in which I have shown above. In discourse we watched a short documentary film on him which was the only documentary he had done and his last. In the film Frank talks about his life in America and living with his wife June Leaf who made sculptures for a living. The couple have a beautiful bond and it was lovely to see how happy they made each other. As Frank talks about his work he describes how things used to be and explained how he would go out for hours and waits for the perfect frame. His passion for the subject is very clear.
In the first photograph ‘Mary 1957’ was very surprising to me when I first saw it. What strikes me about this photograph is how the shadow casts across ‘Mary’s’ face. The model is very attractive however with the shadow across her face it almost gives her another persona. What I love about Frank is his confidence and his unpredictable compositions. Any other photographer would have not taken this shot or taken it without the shadow. This shows his love for photography as he is more concerned with creating and interesting composition than photographing a pretty woman. The tones in this photograph contrast really well and the shadow helps to tone down the strong light on the face. I love how the waves are softly coming in it gives the image a tranquil feel. The flower in the woman’s hair also emphasises the calm feel as it can be linked to the ‘hippy fashion’. The shadow looks as if it is a person; this could well be Frank himself. This could also be a representation of being controlled as the shadow could represent a part of her that she doesn’t reveal or a person controlling her life.
‘Political rally, Chicago’ really made me laugh! I love Robert Franks way of making something serious comical. Again you would think Frank would be on a documentary shoot photographing crowds but instead he focuses on this man with a trombone in front of him, I think its hilarious. Frank really has an eye for capturing moments and sights everyone else walks past. The composition is perfect as the political event can be decoded from the flags in the top of the photograph. I love the grainy texture of the wall it really brings out the man with the trombone. As the viewer I am intrigued to know what this man is like.
The final photograph ‘Butte, MT’ is one of my favourites of Franks, the angle is perfect and I love how the shape of the car pushes the eye across the frame. The family make no eye contact with Frank which I think is magical. The family look lower class to middle class. They all look in the same direction which suggests they are looking at an ongoing event. Again Frank does not focus on this he focuses on the people and their expressions. The black and white works nicely here, in modern photography this in colour would be too much for the viewer to take in. since looking through Frank’s work I have developed a liking to him and they way he sees the world. I find him beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment