4/09/2009

Nan Goldin


‘Self portrait in hotel Baurau Lac , Zurich , 1998’ Nan Goldin

'Girl in the mirror' Emma Flewers
Nan Goldin

Nan Goldin is one of my favourite photographers. Her work is personal and holds emotion I find something new in every one of her photographs each time I look. The photograph featured ‘Self portrait in hotel Baurau Lac , Zurich , 1998’ is one that had inspired a recent self portrait project , it’s so simplistic yet effective. Goldin is very much herself and doesn’t sugar coat anything. In the photograph she is staring directly into the mirror. What I love about Goldin’s work is that none of it is staged, although she has chosen to take that photograph Goldin would have taken on the spur of the moment. The light source is the ‘stage type lights’ surrounding the mirror, the type found in a stars dressing room. I love how despite the stage lights Goldin wears black and has a blank expression unlike the Marilyn Monroe figure the audience expects from the lights. When I look at Goldin a part of me thinks she wants the glitz and glam lifestyle almost as if she took the photograph as a sign of her dreams. On the other hand I see this as a rebellion to stereotype. I love how Goldin gets me to question her work. I love the cropping in ‘Self portrait in hotel Baurau Lac, Zurich, 1998’ Goldin doesn’t show the full size of the mirror. I like how in all of her self portraits she hides her camera I think this gives the composition more mystery. My self portrait was inspired by Goldin’s use of the mirror. I also like how the lights have given a warm feel to the photograph it makes the colours unique and interesting. Unlike Goldin’s my portrait was staged I dressed my face in heavy makeup. A feature of Goldin’s work I did use was the use of natural light by using no artificial light. My photograph was taken with a digital camera unlike Goldin who uses film. I think Goldin’s work has a timeless mature look in comparison to my photograph which an audience would decode as modern. My posture is very relaxed and could be described as similar to Goldin’s as I have a blank expression. I like the use of shaping in my photograph for example the curve of the mirror in comparison to the straight panel of the door frame. I also like the blur of the television screen. I am standing slightly to the side I did this so that the detail from the room could be shown. I feel Goldin’s has much more emotion and personality. I feel as if I could learn from this as my photograph looks a little rushed and staged. Ultimately Goldin never fails stunning.

4 comments:

  1. The first time I saw this particular photo of Goldin's I too was struck by the almost contrary aspects of the two main parts of the image, the lights and herself. The lights do hint at the more exotic life of the stage and screen, but her dress and her posture send out a message of simplicity and normality. Like you I wondered if the lights are a sign of unfulfilled dreams and desires. Are they saying "This is what you could have had" and she is saying "But this is what I am"?

    That is something that makes a good photograph, and a good painting too in my opinion. Its not the "wow" factor that is important, although it does have its part to play, its what it does to your mind. If a photo or a painting makes you step back and think, then as far as I'm concerned that is good. Of course not all photographs can do that but even some candid shots can make you think.

    I have to say that I like your photograph too Emma, I like the imbalance in the photograph, that you are off centre and I just love the way the mirror frame slices through it, separating you from the stark white of the wall and with you with the heavy makeup on there is a set of contrasts and colours and I think that its a interesting photo.

    You can't expect to be taking photos as good as Nan Goldin, not yet but there is nothing wrong in wanting to get there and you've admitted that you think that maybe it looks rushed and a bit staged which I do think is no bad thing and something you can take forward and learn from.

    Also don't forget that its so much easier with digital. When I was at college a friend was almost reduced to tears when she found how much XP1 she'd just worked her way through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comments there really inspiring ! Goldin is one of my favorite photographers i may even do another post on her do you have a blog ?
    emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont have a blog Emma, I'm not really one for writing a lot and I think that maybe I should be taking advantage of the good weather and going out and trying to see if I can still work my old Nikon.

    The new colour scheme is a bit bright and it actually makes things a bit hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh ok and yeah go and do that and i am going to do a few new posts and have change design today ! emma

    ReplyDelete