3/19/2009

Photographers Gallery


Photographers Gallery
06/03/2009

Today We went to the 'Photographers Gallery' to look at the potographers that have been put forward for the Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2009. Amoung the candidates were Emily Jacir ,Taryn Simon ,Paul Graham and Tod Papageorge. For me the photographer that deserves the price and the work I fell in love with was Tod Papageorge with his series 'Passing Through Eden' .The photographs were taken in New York , central park from 1966-1991 and have a beautiful warmth about them. I love how Papageorge manages to take something simple ,like a park ,and capture these special moments in which passers by would normally not see. The time spent on the series shows Papageroge's deication and passion to his work. I cant say there is any of the series I dont like they all make me smile I can imagine that many people would smile as they remember similar moments thier selves. All of the photographs from ' Passing through Eden' in the 'Photographers Gallery' were listed as untitled which I think gives a mystery to his work and gives the viewer a chance to think of what they make of of it. The photograph shown above 'Untitled 1982' is from the series and is one of my favorites from the series. The compsoition is very interetsing and the angle of the photograph is not obvoius and keeps the viewers interest in the work.The 80's era can be decoded here from the iconic objects such as the radio. It seems amazing how Papageroge can be surrounded by thousands of people but captures intamate and stunning images. The photographs work very well in monochrome as it is not too much on the eye which makes the central focus the couple. To sum up Papageorge his work is simple but beautiful.
Links
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Papageorge

2 comments:

  1. The BBC carried some of the photos in an article about the competition and they all look pretty good to me. You're lucky being able to get to see things like that and I hope that it was more than just a day out for you and that maybe it inspired you to go out and do something for yourself.

    A few years ago I was down in London and I went to the Tate to look at the Turner prize short list and one of them was a set of photographs and I found it so much more interesting and inspiring than the other short list entries which were things like a video installation and some sculptures.

    I've always found that a good photo is more inspiring to me than any other visual form of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes very much so i got alot out of this visit ! i am going to take on a few projects over the summer !

    ReplyDelete